Monday, August 4, 2008

The old man


Today we took a jaunt around the Trotternish Penisula. You can buy day-pass bus tickets on all routes and just hope on and off the bus all day. They will let you off and pick you up anywhere along the route, you just have to wave them down.
Our first stop was Old Man of Storr, which is a wonderful rock formation. The walk up is beautiful. Most of it takes you through a pine forest, that is all dark with shafts of sunlight peaking in and small busy little streams running through it all. Although the forest has obviously been planted by humans, with it's neat little rows of trees, it seems full of magic. Both Caelie and I felt like we could turn around at any minute and there would be giggles and the sound of fluttering wings. Eventually you come out into the moor and the views of the ocean are amazing (I took lots, don't worry). I walked almost up to the top, which is a steep incline once you leave the forest. We had a bus to catch, so I didn't go up to the old man himself. I sat down on a rock to take it all in and, of course, I hear a 'Baaahhh' issue from behind me. Sheep will go anywhere!!
We then descended (which was much easier and took much less time) and hopped on the bus again. We took it all the way around the peninsula to Uig (oo-ig). Not much there. We had lunch (really good fish and chips, of course) and wandered around. We will be seeing it again on Wednesday when we sail off for Lewis. Then we took the long bus ride back to the hostel.
On a side note; apparently Scotland does not appreciate my singing talent. I have had someone refer to my voice as screeching (and that it is not a dying animal just in case anyone was wondering) and today someone honked their horn at me and told me to shut up. They don't know what they are missing....

1 comment:

Chris said...

Re: Scottish disdain for your singing. The fact is, dear, that you're just not twee enough for their tastes. Belle and Sebastian? You're definitely NOT in the band. Camera Obscura? You get the point. Your voice is just too robust for the likes of them. And that's their problem not yours. Sing away.