Sunday, August 3, 2008

Where we are right now...

We have found ourselves, unexpectedly, at the most amazing hostel. It sits in the middle of nowhere on the north-eastern coast of Trotternish Peninsula on Skye (see link to side). The views are stunning, the public spaces are cozy, and the fellow guests are fantastic.
The first night we were here, while we were finishing dinner, there came a distinctive sound issuing from outside. I wandered out to investigate, only to find a man playing the bagpipes to the sea. Frans hails from Holland and has been playing the pipes for the last 15 years (started too late in his life to play well, or so he insisted to me). He is here, in Scotland, this summer to take his level four exams. I watched him for awhile, an enormous smile on my face, and before too long he gestured me over to try it out for myself. I could barley get any noise out of it. You must need prodigious lungs to play the thing. Frans plays every evening, and there have been requests for him to play us out of sleep each morn (and he insisted that I blog him; this one's for you Frans).
There is a terribly out of tune piano here that I have been playing with regularity, despite the sound. We spent all day sitting around reading books in the quiet hostel. We had it almost entirely to ourselves for the day, as everyone else went out sightseeing. Tomorrow we are going to be doing the Flodigarry circuit, and taking in the Old Man of Storr and the Fairy Glen, with a stop at Uig (where Caelie is going to try and find some much needed fluff books). We leave for the Outer Hebrides on Wednesday, where we will have regular access to internet.
Unfortunately, due to strange air flight circumstances that no-one is able to explain, there will most likely be no pictures of my trip until we get to Inverness (two weeks from now). My battery recharger (along with all my other rechargers) has apparently died while in transit. I attempted to buy a charger in Portree, but they did not have the model I needed. I am certain I will not be able to find one on Lewis. So you must all wait with baited breath...
I will post more tomorrow about our adventures so far...but now I must make way for someone else to ply the internet.
On a side note; HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chris!!

No comments: