Monday, June 22, 2009

Bamboo excursions...

So, I know it has been awhile since I put an update. We have been either crazy busy or no where near a computer (in other words, on a train, LOL).
I have a few days to myself right now, as Peter has gone to climb Mt. Fuji (YAY Pete!!!). I decided to stay in Kyoto. I am kinda bummed about this, as I really wanted to see Fuji and the sunrise at the top would have been awesome. However, I know my feet (and my energy levels) would not be able to handle it.
Today I saw Peter off on the train, had a nice sushi lunch at one of the fabulous circular sushi restaurants, and the decided to go and find the bamboo forest I had heard about. It was only a 20 minutes train ride out of Kyoto, and a little walk through the town. It was very beautiful. I started in a smaller forest, with bamboo that was not very old or tall. I then wandered into the temple that resides in the forest, which had beautiful gardens (apparently one of the oldest in Japan). I also encountered a tiny little shrine tucked away in the bamboo and moss. It has this funny little bridge made of bamboo. It was so tiny and it only went over moss. Yet it seemed important somehow, based on how everything was structured around it. I never found out what it meant??
It was SO hot in the forest that I had to take my glasses off because they were completely fogged up. I sweat so much that hours after I got back to the hostel the clothes I had hung to dry are still damp.
This post would have been longer, but Peter ended up stuck at the base of Mt. Fuji because no one will take him up to Station 5 tonight. I`ve been helping him figure out how to get up there and back tomorrow. It is not yet climbing season (which happens in July and August), and the transport up the mountain is very scant right now. He`ll miss his sunrise at the top, but hopefully he`ll get to climb it tomorrow starting really early.
I am going to post a list of things we have done so far, just so people can get an idea of where we have been.

1 comment:

Caelie said...

Must have been nice to walk by yourself in the beautiful bamboo forest (nice with Peter too I would imagine :) It sounds very magical. Mt. Fuji can wait until the next time you go...it's not going anywhere anytime soon (we'll just have to stick with Mt. Finlyson for now) Can't wait for the list of things you have done so far! Oh and I hope Peter makes it to the top!
xoxo