Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tokyo; Shibuya

This is a really quick update about today because it is late and we are up super early tomorrow morning.
Today we made out way over to Shibuya and Harajuku. We got to see (and cross) the busiest four way in the world, Shibuya Crossing (I am sure you have all seen video or photos of this famous crossing). It being the weekend the whole area was packed to the gills with people. We wandered around looking for a particular store that sold used manga. It took us forever but we finally found it. We then tried to go to a coffee shop, but there was a huge wait and tons of people smoking. We decided to go and try to find the Cosplay. We didn't find it and instead wandered into a huge park (Peter did eventually find the tail ends of the CosPlay and he was unimpressed). The park was fabulous. It felt like a real slice of Japanese life in Tokyo. There were people scattered all through the trees, doing all manner of things. The most fabulous was the music. People were playing instruments every where you turned. Everything from a girl playing a tradition Japanese instrument like a banjo (haven't figured out what one yet) to guitars, to drums, to saxophone, to flutes, to violins, to bagpipes (yes...I said bagpipes). There was even a five piece jazz band set up in the trees, complete with an accordion. It was amazing just wandering around encountering all the music. There were lots of dogs, and runners, and frizz bee players. There were also poi spinners, rope walkers, dancers, and families having picnics. It was lovely. I spent some time napping on the grass, and Peter and I spent a long time just wandering around and sitting and people watching. We then leisurely went back to the hostel (after just missing the large temple, ah well, there will be plenty more)
I am sad to be leaving Tokyo, as it has been such an amazing city. However, I am ready for some peace and quiet. I defiantly need some down time, and the temple and surrounding shrines and graveyards should do the trick.
Tomorrow we are off early to Kayo-san. I won't have internet access for a few days due to being at a temple and then camping. Next time I write I will be steps away from an onsen (hotspring)...aaaaahhhhhh!!!

A note to my followers; if you read this blog, please take note that I really appreciate comments on posts. It makes me feel like spending the time writing this is worth while (it also lets me get a sense of who is listening)
See you all on the other side of Buddhist immersion...

1 comment:

Caelie said...

Hey you

How are you coping with all the crowded streets and the absolute mass of people??? I think I would go insane within a matter of hours never mind days! Does that city ever rest?? Hopefully you will be able to when you go to Kayo-san :) How are your feet and ankles by the way? Hopefully they have aclimatized to their new surrounding and are behaving for ya ;)
I hope you picked up some manga, that stuff is neat!
I must say your descriptive narrative skills are wonderful as I'm imagining what it would have been like walking in that park. Was it like one of those old Japanese paintings were everything is painted in a way were there is activity but the same time there is an air of serenity and peace? It must have have been heavenly :)
Bagpipes? Was it like when we first toured Glasgow and we saw the Aboriginal group playing? Totally out of place but yet you couldn't look away?
Well again have a safe journey to your next destination. And as always can wait for your next update :)
Missing you
xoxo