Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tokyo

We have arrived in a semi-tropical country. It is so hot and humid here. I don't think I will ever use the sweater I brought.
We flew out on Monday and arrived Tuesday afternoon (thanks to crossing the international date line). The flight was long, but bearable, I even managed to sleep a little. Getting to the hostel was suprisingly easy (after some confusion with switching trains) . The hostel is in a very quite residential neighborhood of Asukasa, in north eastern Tokyo. After we had settled we took a walk around. Bought some fruit from a little store down the road. Then we found a 7/11. Fabulous!! My first meal in Japan turned out to be corn flakes with banana's, LOL. There are also vending machines EVERYWHERE, full of strange "POW" drinks with a sinsiter coffee theme. We are going to brave the concequences and get one.
We hear Japanese at every turn and it is a juxtapostion in the stacato that flows over you like water. I feel strangley silly that I don't know the language, and I am shy and hesitant to interact. Hopefully as time goes by this will get better.
Today we are off to Shinjuku, to wander around, eat, buy a tripod, and exhange some money. Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures tomorrow.

1 comment:

Caelie said...

You made it! Congrats! Take lots of pictures of these strange vending machines please and of the markets when you go :) Sounds so exciting even in your first days! Don't worry about interacting too much, the time will come when the language barrier won't be an issue and you will come back with soooo many new phrases you will be able to teach us all Japanese! Well it sounds as if you are both having a wonderful start to which I hope in turn becomes an unforgetable adventure of a lifetime! Keep us posted and post pics when and if you can so we can journey with you :) XOXO