Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Perhaps insane is actually smart...

It is hard for me sometimes to determine if I am totally insane or actually really smart.
I am having one of those moments today.
I am falling off the fence towards the "crazy amount of work" option in deciding to take 4 very heavy classes and work in two labs this term. I think about this decision and I have these visions of myself sprawled across my bed, which is covered with large amounts of semi-organized stacks of paper (so is the floor) and wailing something along the lines of "...but I don't WANT to!!!". I know that this decision will lead me to this vision eventually, hopefully later than sooner. But it's strange. I can think of no other way right now to keep myself motivated and functional than to totally overwhelm myself with super crazy interesting stuff. Otherwise I am sure I will end up sitting in front of the television for the next three months and missing out on all the good stuff life has to offer.
An insane workload demands no less from me than perfect organization (which I am very good at). Timetables, to-do lists, checklists, spreadsheets, overly-tabbed binders, hierarchical file organization, those little sticky coloured things...you get the idea.
The cool thing is that this highly organized, ready for anything, up-on-the-know person that is created out of potential chaos ends up spilling into the other areas of my life. I am actually going to yoga tonight (not just talking about going to yoga). I have all these plans, ideas, and enthusiasms for creative things like music, knitting, and art. It is all very inspiring.
I know, I know, at some point I will curse myself for this decision and become that vision on the bed (this will probably happen several times in fact), but that will only be a few points of extreme stress during the next three months.
And I hope that the attention and work-ethic required to accomplish all this will close the door a little on the "life's really not worth living" feeling that has been rattling around in my brain for the last four months of my life.
Cheers everyone, here's to insanity!!

No comments: