Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reverb 10: Day 3

Day #3: Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

Cresting the ridge above Emma Lake.
After a hour long bumpy ride and a 4 hour crazy hike up a trail justly called "the stairmaster" I reached the top of the ridge above Emma Lake with my friend Jeremy. Only moments before we had reached the snow (still there in August) and covered ourselves in the fantastic cooling white ambrosia (it was hot that day). I remember sitting up on the ridge and looking out over the mountains. I don't think I have ever been so high up on my own steam (legs and feet I mean). I had been worried about the hike and the first 45 minutes were rough. My body doing it's typical "STOP MOVING" routine. Yet after a while (and some wild blueberries along the trail) my body quieted down. The rest of the way was fine. When I got to the top I felt so fantastic. The view was stunning, I could see for miles and miles (for the last time too, as it clouded over the rest of the trip and we lived in a cloud while we were up there).
That whole trip was a highlight of this last year, and cresting that ridge was the most alive I have felt in awhile.

No comments: