Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reverb10 Roundup


Reverb10 Roundup ~ I've been lax in my posting of reverb10 over the last week. I guess I have the excuse of the holidays and the large amount of baking and cooking and socializing I've been doing. So I've decided to just do a round up in one post.





Day 18 – Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elis)
I would really really love to hike the Juan Da Fuca Trail this summer. Going up to Emma Lake this last summer made me realize that not only am I physically capable of more than I believe but also that I love the way it makes me feel. My favorite place in the entire world is Sombrio Beach, which is part of the trail. It truly is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have been going to Sombrio beach every year of my life since I was four. I would really like to do the entire trail. Now I just need to find a few people who are willing to come with me...

Day 19 – Healing. What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011? (Author: Leonie Allan)
My connections with people have healed me this year. I have been feeling strangely lonely this year. My mom has been gone for 5 years now. When she first passed there were certain things that hit me and strong grief that I had to deal with. After time her loss has settled in deeper and it makes me feel lonely sometimes. I also have to admit that at the age of 30 I feel the lack of a family of my own. While I have hope this will happen eventually it also makes me feel lonely here and there.
Therefore, it is my connections with people close to me that has healed me of this loneliness. Especially my family; my dad, my nieces and nephews, my close friends.

Day 20 – Beyond Avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?) (Author: Jake Nickell)
Math!! I should have done a math course this year and I didn't. Math makes me panicky and this course was particularly panic inducing (I broke out in hives at one point when I was doing 8 hours of math a day). I would like to finish it for a variety of reasons, but I also really do not want to do it. It will take a lot of my time (that I won't have next year) and will probably drive me nuts (not to mention to tears). Only time will tell...

Day 21 – Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (Author: Jenny Blake)
Trust yourself. Listen to what others say, but in the end follow what your heart tells you. Know that whatever path you choose you will be ok. Know that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to, you just need to set your mind to something.
I will tell the exact same thing to myself 10 years ago.

Day 22 – Travel. How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year? (Author: Tara Hunt)
I think I have already talked a lot about how I physically traveled over this last year. I have also traveled creatively. Doing Vivienne McMaster's You Are Your Own Muse course was very inspiring and I have been playing with my camera quite a lot over the last two months. I have also been making lots of plush silly animals, which has been great fun. I feel like I have traveled far in how much creativity is part of my life these days.
I would love to travel to Toronto next year to visit family. It has been too long since I have spent time with my TO family. I would love to spend a few weeks there. I would also like to go somewhere really cool, even just for a week or so. Maybe I can find some really cheap flight somewhere next year...


Day 23 – New Name. Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author: Becca Wilcott)
I used to really not like my name. When I was 11 I almost changed my name to Liz. I have always had internet handles that were other names. Yet, the last few years I have come to completely love my name. I can not imagine being anyone but Brie.


Day 24 – Everything’s OK What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead? (Author: Kate Inglis)
I would say it was a series of moments over the first two weeks of December. At the beginning of these two weeks I had finally stopped worrying about money. With the house on Pender now having sat empty for 4 months I had been in a panic about paying for it myself. I had decided to get a job next semester to make sure that I can get by financially. Having "a plan" on how to deal with the financial stress had allowed me to release the worry. With in two weeks of this sudden release of worry I got offered two jobs (both of which I am taking) and some unexpected money was gifted to me.
This is a further lesson that the universe will provide. I needed to come to some resolution myself (find a way to relax) and then doors would open for me.

No comments: