Monday, December 27, 2010

Reverb10: Day 26


Day 26: Soul Food. What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?

This year I discovered deer. I have always disliked wild game, perhaps because I was raised a semi-vegetarian and never had exposure to wild (read "exotic") meat. But this year brought me into contact with lots of it. I have been blessed this year with wild meat. I have had yummy yummy deer, cooked and raw (even rendered deer fat, yummy). I currently have a house packed with native caught wild salmon (canned, smoked, BBQ, you name it, we've eaten it this year). I also have a freezer packed with gifted moose and elk (thanks to some of my lovely chosen family). Turns out I LOVE wild meat. Deer is my favorite, but all the rest is stellar too.
It is a very funny story with me and meat. I often enjoy conversations with vegans I know because I find that we have very similar beliefs about animals. I also find it absolutely fascinating that I come to a completely different conclusion about eating meat than they do (convergences/divergences of this nature always greatly intrigue me). I've tried to commit myself to a particular diet this past year. I haven't been totally successful, both from lack of access and simply caving to the norm. I would really like to continue on the path I started this year, particularly with my choices around meat and corn.
Heck, if someone like me can stop eating wheat I can do anything (it will just take me 6 or 7 years)!!

1 comment:

darlene said...

i grew up with wild game, fish and deer and moose and wild chickens as we used to call them. and then i became vegetarian for a decade and vegan for a couple of years.

and this year .. i am back to the wild and remembering how good it makes my body feel ...